- Dark Matter is a superior skateboard made from state of the art materials based on a specially developed Strap System, designed to be an uncompromising and ultimate solution which allows fast progression and unconditional support to any board rider in urban environment.
- Materials mostly used by airspace industry and cutting edge technology with specially developed solutions are applied to give unprecedented comfort by allowing fast boardsport progression.
Resistant to wet weather conditions and enormous forces that might appear during the most extreme rides, with weight that is bellow average skateboard, Dark Matter is designed to create mental bond with any board rider by allowing him to explore his creative potentials to the limits of his body.
As board riders are artists and athletes that often faces huge risks in order to prove themselves, much durable and reliable solution needed to be developed to support them with the design that honors the pure spirit of boardsport excellence. _____________________________________________________________________________________
- Dark Matter board:Made of carbon fiber, kevlar and other advanced composites, Dark Mater board is stronger than steel but lighter than wood. Technology of molding such materials under enormous pressure does not leave space for inner imperfections that standard skateboards have.
Resistance to enormous forces and wet conditions, made the board unbreakable during the ride thanks to specially developed Strap System.
Instead of sandpaper, textured polyurethane surface serves as a griptape which allows to ride in whatever shoes one feels like.
- Dark Matter trucks:Extremely durable trucks made out of titanium are improved with other solutions that needed to be developed.
Inverted chrome vanadium kingpins ( large bolts that holds the axles) is applied for better stability while doing grind tricks on rails. Large and soft rubber bushings are applied to softly absorb the force during the landing. With shields turned one to the other there are much less chances to get stuck on the edge of the ramp.
- Strap System:
Strap system is based on two specially developed straps that are mounted between board and axles.
One foot is always on the board, and other leg allows pushing.
For that purpose, front foot is fixed with front strap which allows Dark Matter to behave like sandal to simply step across small obstacles on the way.
When it comes to large obstacles or doing tricks, semi-elastic rear strap ,that always comes to vertical position, allows easy access for rear foot to enter and to tighten them with single move of rear foot.
With both feet fixed jumping comes naturally.
Elastic straps allows certain mobility to feet for safety and for doing tricks:
When legs are tighten one close to other, feet are in optimal position to transfer all of the landing force through the board and axles to the wheels in order to avoid damages of the board and to keep balance on the center of the board.
When it comes to tricks, legs should be tighten one from other, in order to distribute weight to opposite sides of the board (known as nose and tail), but putted then tighten one close to other during the landing.
In both cases, tightening legs cause straps to hold feet strong to the board, which allows confident landings without risk of hocks to twist or board.
- Beside fast progression, Strap System allows much secure ride in public because board will not bounce out and the strong board will be safe from hard damages at the same time.
Silent ride allows practicing in public without disturbing even at night.
Applied solution allows to ride in any kind of shoes rider feels comfortable and they will not be harmed and would last longer than usual.
- Strap System simply allows to ride Dark Matter like in skateboarding video games, without flip tricks, but with real physics and much more excitement.
Dark Matter allows to ride spots that were not considered skateable with reular skateboards with new tricks that can be done and new combinations.
- Dark Matter wheels:
Wheels are specially developed to protect ball bearings inside from water and dust in order to keep their performance as long as possible. With 3 ball bearings inside each wheel, Dark Matter allows less pushing for longer distances.
- Optional equipment:
Developed solutions makes Dark Matter lighter than average skateboard which gives space for optional equipment:
- MonoLight Shield is an optional equipment made from Lexan (special transparent plastic) that keeps elegant texture of carbon fiber safe from harming and enables customization of deck by putting any type of graphic between the deck and the transparent shield. This allows graphic to be safe from scratching and changeable.
Graphic engraved on MonoLight Shield would shine in dark by screwing the kingpin to tighten the axles for better stability (biggest bolts that holds the axles) which makes Dark Matter visible and more secure in night traffic. It is based on 2 LED diodes powered by rechargeable batteries. Engraved holes also holds wax for better sliding. Light Shield is replaceable and gives even more strength to the deck. The board itself has holes above the axles to illuminate the rear strap for easy access during the night rides.
Ecological and social aspects of the design:
Such non-biodegradable and small amount of materials are highly ecological and sustainable solution for building extremely durable parts and products because they could save a lot of natural resources that are not renewable so fast. With growing popularity of boardsports, large amount of wood could make significantly bad impact to environment. In this case, materials used for Dark Matter could save forests of healthy trees, which is positive ecological impact.
Dark Matter combines ergonomics, reliability and durability in the way that is absolutely ecological and sustainable.
- Additional info:
Dark Matter is suitable for filming extreme sports footage even across numerous obstacles.
It is easy to carry because of Strap system. Because it is resistant to water it could be easily washed whenever it is necessary.
Carbon nanotubes are consideredas option for future development of Dark Matter board because it allows to include different nanotechnology devices with all their advantages.
Dark Matter will be produced in exclusive annual limited editions.
- Design, development, prototyping and creative direction: Darko Nikolić
Photography and video production: Lazar Radić
Special thanks to Miloš Ličina, Dušan Miletić, Vladica Živanović and Nemanja Manjenčić
Music in video: Rellying The Defense by machinimasound.com
- Darko Nikolć ©All Rights Reserved