Add to Collection
Tools Used
About

About

I've been requested by Neonmob (a trading-card social network), to make a big set of more than 100 pictures. As I had freedom on the subject, I s… Read More
I've been requested by Neonmob (a trading-card social network), to make a big set of more than 100 pictures. As I had freedom on the subject, I searched for base shapes that I could vary sufficiently so there’d be a relationship, and yet each shape would be different from all the others. I ended up representing an index of fake radiolaria inspired by SEM imagery and the incredibly detailed illustrations of Ernst Haeckel. I've started only with geometric base shapes in TopMod, a topological mesh modeling software (although it’s no longer developed, this free, useful software has unique functionality). I then took these shapes into Cinema 4D for fine tuning and rendering, and finalized the image in Photoshop. Read Less
Published:
Radiolaria Index
Topologically Generated Radiolaria
 
I had the privilege of working with NeonMob to create a collection for their digital collecting platform. Since I had complete creative freedom on the subject, I searched for base shapes that I could vary sufficiently and between which there could be a relationship, yet each shape would be different from the others. My series of "radiolaria" were inspired by incredibly detailed 18th century illustrations of microorganisms by the artist Ernst Haeckel.
 
I constructed the geometric base shapes in TopMod, a topological mesh modeling software (although TopMod is no longer developed, it is a free, useful software with unique functionality).
I then took these shapes into Cinema 4D for fine tuning and rendering, and finalized the image in Photoshop.
 
This is only a small part of the full set, which is available on NeonMob exclusively.  You can collect the entire collection on NeonMob here! And if you need to sign in, use my refferal, this will give me extra cards ! Thank you :)
 
They interviewed me on this project and my process and background.  And finally, here's a "work-flow tutorial" about this project!