- ZIZZI BECKENHAMAn ode to Bowie.
- Client: Zizzi Ristorante, UKCreative Director: Pia FairhurstDesign Co-ordinator: Sian QuantrillIllustrator/Painter: Tobias Hall
In May I began work on what was my biggest project to date; as part of my ongoing relationship with Zizzi Ristorante, I had been asked to create all of the artwork to be painted in their Beckenham restaurant whilst it was undergoing a refurbishment.
Beckenham is in south London, and was the birthplace of musical legend David Bowie who not only lived in the area until the early 70's but also launched his music career from the very pub in which the restaurant is now housed. Bowie used to hold an Arts Lab project every Sunday at the pub, inviting others to come and jam with him for the entertainment of the local community.
My brief was open and simple: Create an ode to Bowie.
- Mural 1 - The Labyrinth RoomInspired by the 80's film in which Bowie starred, the conservatory was transformed into the Labyrinth room. I decided to paint riddles, puzzles and mazes, which people can solve whilst they eat their meal. The riddle is written on the far wall, and to find the answer you have to follow the mazes to the door into the main dining area.
- Mural 2 - The Three TunsThis wall painting is the first thing that the customer sees when they enter the restaurant, so I wanted it to set the scene and grab the eye.
- Mural 3 - Beckenham Free FestivalIn August 1969 Bowie organised a Free Festival on nearby Beckenham recreation ground. This painting features lyrics from the song he wrote about the festival as well as the band stand used, which is still there today.
- I also designed a set of 8 frosted glass windows which read 'Spaceboy'. Each window also features lyrics from a song beginning with the letter on that window.
- Painted TablesThere are 5 fully painted table tops in the restaurant, each one inspired by a famous Bowie album and featuring lyrics from a song on that album. I also wrote a song title on every other table in the restaurant, you can see a few of these below... there were 41 in total!
- My final job was to hand-write all of the interior signage in the restaurant, Bowie-style of course.