I chose to use my design skills to help out my Acapella team. They were asking for a few projects, so I opened Illustrator and went at it.
Here is the first project. This song (named Something by Jorja Smith) is about heart break and anger, so I chose to do something with a heart. I chose to go with a tiled theme because I realized how fragile the heart is when it comes to love. Down below, you can see my process.
I started with the first design (on the left), and realized a color change would be needed. The way I did the tiling is choosing the colors to get darker, and a little variation of each other to make them seem like different tiles with shadows. Instead of making the other side black, or a dark grey, I chose to create another tiled effect, but in grey. I made it a little darker, and then chose to have the pieces chip off like a broken heart.
For this album cover art, the song featured a theme that appreciated all types of love and the LGBTQ movement. That's why I chose to use a complex shape of intertwining colors, making it a rainbow and making it showcase the meaning of the song.
Our Acapella team decided to host its first show, and we named it Jiya (which means "the essence of life"). At first, the logo was going to be more simple and most likely just some text, but I had an idea to follow the pattern of Indian text and script, and connect the top and bottom of the letters (making it similar to languages around India). Since the J curved under the normal line, I decided to add the meaning below. The next picture shows my organizational design skills.
Introducing the team on Instagram was the next task at hand. I had to create a frame for the picture, so for the first individual pictures, I designed a more technical frame (something more professional). For the second picture, I wanted to make the team seem more "cuddly", "bubbly" and less intimidating, so I added a custom handwritten font, and added custom arrows so that it seems more artistic rather than professional.