Discovering Identity
During the summer of 2018 I was lucky to have the opportunity to spend 6 weeks studying Industrial Design at Accademia Italiana in Florence Italy. 
For this project we were asked to research an Italian furniture company and design a piece of lighting or furniture that would express the identity of that company. 
I chose to explore the Italian furniture manufacture Miniforms. I was inspired by their use of color and the balance between elegance and playfulness they maintain within their products. 

Defining aspects of Miniforms: 
Lightness 
Expressivity 
Elegance
Wow 
Wood 

“We believe that elegance is not a drab aesthetic but a vibrant, colorful approach.
Sometimes you’re serious. Sometimes you’re light-hearted. That’s life. But at least when you’re at home, try to be carefree. The main thing is to take it easy occasionally and enjoy the little things with elegance. Our furniture will help you.” - Miniforms 

Miniforms has designed many chairs, stools, tables, and cabinets but only a few lounge chairs. This seemed like a good opportunity space to design for. I began ideating around several forms, keeping in mind the important aspects that define Miniforms. 
My final concept was two separate tubes of coated steel each bent 4 times and then connected though welded supports that the seat rests on. The thin bent steel legs give the chair a feeling of lightness and expressivity.  



While I enjoyed the first initial concept I couldn’t help but to feel that it was missing something. It didn’t feel like it accurately captured the identity that is Miniforms. I decided to go back and make revisions to my design. 
Looking back at those key aspects that define Miniforms I had failed to appropriately address one of the most prevalent, wood. 

“Humans are 65% water, Miniforms is 70% wood. The other 30% is composed of fabrics, ceramics and metals.” - Miniforms 

I wanted to respect this huge part of Miniforms and incorporate wood into my design

The final chair made mostly from wood, represents the expressiveness and simplicity in Miniforms design. It can be serious and it can be light hearted.
Discovering Identity
0
27
0
Published:

Discovering Identity

Summer 2018 Florence Italy study abroad project at Accademia Italiana
0
27
0
Published:

Tools