Tool redesign for Wikipedia //
UX Research Study
–––
The Brief

Wikimedia Germany, and Wikipedia, produce internally a plethora of different tools, normally, country-specific (what built in Germany, stays in Germany).

Wiki rotated around 2 main user personas: the reader and the author. 

A series of tools are aimed to help authors write more and better.
One of this tool is the “License Generator” aimed to give authors access to the right license for images to be used within a new Wikipedia page.

Example:
The author writes a piece of contents and needs an image, she goes to LHG page and gets the image and the right usage license. 
The current LHG tool is old, poorly designed and never being tested. 

–––
Wikimedia DE asked us to help them to:
• User test the target group and gather feedback
• Verify if we could have expanded the user base by adding features to get different users using the LHG
• Sketch a very first draft of a new tool
–––
The Process

We sent out invites to a qualitative user test using FB and FB ads.
We have tested and interviewed many authors and found patterns in the feedback
Taken their ideas (not ours) we started a first redesign.


–––
The Redesign


–––
To redesign the tool and explore it, we have maximized our efficiency.

We have highlighted the patterns from the user test (people saying the same thing), then quickly sketched a new approach in a form of wireframes, decided for a more premium color palette, went straight into UI.
​​​​​​​

New screens:

–––
Numbers
• 1 day UX
• 1 day UI
• Project done in 4 weeks
• 12+ authors recruited and tested (15 hours or more of testing)




Tool Redesign | Wikipedia | B2C
11
154
3
Published:

Tool Redesign | Wikipedia | B2C

Redesign of an existing search tool, a property of Wikipedia. UX, UI, UX Research and Visual design.
11
154
3
Published:

Tools