- The Well Grounded Java Developer website
A web presence to publicise a new book
- Two friends asked me to produce a website to help publicise their new book, The Well Grounded Java Developer, which is coming out soon. I started by producing a holding page, giving interested parties information about the forthcoming book, the subjects it covers, its authors, and providing an email subscription method.
The front page is built using hand-coded HTML5 and CSS3, including font-face tags for the logotype, rounded corners, drop shadows, and form elements.
- The SEO performance for the first week after the website was launched showed we had been doing the right thing - strict control of meta tags, linking to and from other respected industry websites, a strong social media presence on Facebook and Twitter, and a frequently visited blog all made towards an upward surge of over 1000% of visitors in the first week.
- A rich content entry at first position for Google search results.
- Facebook group for the Java 7 Developer book, providing constant updates for followers on book progress, the Early Access Programme, links to other reputed industry bodies and more.
- The two authors, Ben and Martijn, frequently post on the @java7developer Twitter feed, providing another means of following progress on the book, as well as giving the authors a method of interacting with the community.