- Development of the font on the example of the logo «tumix»
From "T" to the «X»
- Good day, ladies and gentlemen! I would like to share with you a technique that I used by development of the logo for the information portal tumix.ru.
- Logos or, as they used to be called, logotypes. Probably you know that as the logotype we call word part.
So a little bit simplistic theory:
Logo – word part of the brand (Samsung, Lenovo, Palm, Nokia, FedEx, etc.)
The sign + logo - a brand, which includes besides the word part a sign(Sony Ericsson, LG, Logitech, Beeline, MTS and a lots of examples). This is the best variant.
Sign-logo –is the word part of the brand, including the sign which can’t be separated (Tut.by, Mexx, Zippo, Skype).
Word logos are convenient, they can be used almost everywhere. They are very easy to scale and apply them to a variety of items. They are also very suitable for information portal, because they occupy little space, they are well arranged by making-up and, besides, they don’t require a lot of free fields around.
And so I decided to make a logo that consists only of the word part. Simply select the font isn’t a good choice for us, because we need a catchy and long-living logo, so that’s why I will develop the logo from scratch.
I suggest to get acquainted with, in my opinion, the easiest way to develop the word part of the logo.
First we need to analyze the word, take a good look at the letters to find similar features. We need to understand which style of writing we need. I’ve chosen the most minimalistic style: no serifs and just simple shape – so easy to read. We write down the name with the common font and try to analyze.
Even if to cast an eye on a word, we can see a key - the widget from which you can build the whole word. Here, a simple version, so the letter «m» could be well-formed from the letter «u», if you duplicate and flip them horizontally. The letter «t» is a little bit harder to build, but after thinking a while - we can notice that it is easy to form it from the letter «u». So the key is the letter «U»
2. Using the key
Once we have found a style-forming letter, we can begin to develop. As the key is a style-forming element, it’ll set the pitch throughout the writing.
And now you can see it on the picture:
- Let's start with the development of the letter «m», it's clear and simple.
- We take the letter «u», flip it horizontally and vertically, and so we’ve got the letter «n», then we duplicate, mirror and mate the elements. «M» is finished. The task is simple. And now I try to get the letter «t».
- This is a little bit harder task, first: turn the key, in this way we’ll get a basis for the letter «t».
We just add the tail to the letter, and then we cut them off. If we reflect the basis vertically, so we’ll get the proportion of the letter’s tail.
Now, we’ll develop the letter «i». It's very simple, but the main thing is to decide in which style it will be made: as a classic «i» (the rectangle with a dot), or it’ll be more dynamic. Look what will happen.
- Anyway, I decided to make the letter «i» more dynamic, so I’ve just made it from the right side of the letter «n».
There is only one letter to develop, the letter «X». I’ll form it on the basis of the letter «i».
- As you can see, I duplicate the letter «i» horizontally, rotate it 45 degrees, and duplicate once again.
All letters are finished! I’ve just select the distance between letters and the logotype is ready.
- Of course, this approach isn’t suitable for every font development, but for the most it’s universal.
And as always, evolve with us! © logosapiens.by
!!! Russian version - http://logosapiens.by/font1/