Product and Interaction Design Consultant
Consult in product and interaction design for start-ups, consultancies/agencies, and corporate design teams. Available to work remotely or onsite in the Los Angeles area. Please contact to inquire about capabilities, rates, and experiences.
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Johnson & Johnson
Product & Interaction Design Consultant
Consult, on behalf of Kaleidoscope Design, within the Industrial Design and Human Factors Center of Excellence of Johnson & Johnson on medical device-related products for west coast companies. Assist with usability, industrial design, and user interface design.
California, United States
Industrial Design Consultant
Consulted on the use experience, design, and implementation of products in the technology, wearable tech, and consumer electronic accessory space.
- Design language for a line of cables and connectors geared specifically for the Apple store.
- Development of the design aesthetic for a Qi wireless charging device to work with Samsung Galaxy mobile phones.
- Design and implementation of the ClipFit armband + mobile phone case.
- Product Appearance strategy for a line of products geared towards activity. Products included a wearable biometric sensor, in-ear headphones, mobile phone armband, and ClipFit armband + mobile phone case.
- April 2014
Playa Vista, California, United States
Instructor, Product Design Department
Taught Visual Communication 6, a course that emphasizes visual storytelling for Junior and Senior-level industrial design students by utilizing illustration, graphics, sketching, and video work. As the instructor, I crafted a course where I:
- Orchestrated assignments that encourage the gathering and sharing of inspiration, sharpening core design skills, and refining a student’s personal design philosophy.
- Created targeted guidelines to stimulate the students’ thinking around visual narration and personal design interests.
- Challenged the students in reframing their design project stories to communicate succinctly and to maximize the impact of visual communication—illustration, renderings, photography, video, graphics, and iconography.
- Encouraged critical thinking through class dialogue, collaboration, brainstorming, feedback, and critiques.
- Coordinated critiques with outside design professionals to expose students to a variety of opinions.
- Developed a class-specific website, www.crvtr.com, as a resource for weekly assignments, guidelines, and content relevant to the concepts taught in the class.
- January 2014
California, United States
Senior Designer II
- Collaborated with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers, design researchers, ergonomists, model makers, and marketers towards the end of creating innovative product solutions for clients in a variety of industries.
- Managed and directed design programs and teams for clients with project budgets at or around $100k.
- Set the creative direction and led design efforts on large scale ($250k-500k), multi-disciplinary programs including guiding the design team, implementing creative concepts, creation of 3D models, directing prototyping efforts, and advising with engineering.
- Presented concepts, research insights, project progress, and key milestone presentations to clients on a regular basis.
- Awarded seven design awards for two different product designs.
- Co-coordinated the product design internship program leading to a systematized process of finding design talent and ensuring a positive internship experience. This led to successful recruiting of new hires in the product design group and the mentorship of one intern in a concept project that later won a Red Dot Product Design Award.
- Art directed product photo shoots to generate content for marketing and design award entries.
- Executed design award entry content, including crafting the product narrative and corresponding graphic layouts, which assisted in garnering several awards.
- Contributed thought leadership pieces to the Continuum blog on topics relating to product and interaction design.
- Supported sales efforts by assisting in scoping and planning project budgets and timelines for new proposal requests.
- October 2013
Venice, California, United States
Senior Designer I
- October 2011
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Industrial Design Lead
Created product experiences as a part of a team consisting of mechanical engineers and interaction designers for various clients in the medical, industrial, and consumer electronic spaces.
- August 2008
Minnesota, United States
Footwear Designer II
Designed in-line performance footwear in the running and outdoor categories.
- October 2005
Oregon, United States