- NGMA- Navigational guide
- Task : To choose a public place and study its features like architectural components, spaces etc and to understand the activities held there and know about the type of visitors visiting that place. Then after this research , develop a system for easy understanding of that place and easy way finding there i.e. to
develop a navigational guide for the visitors
- Public Public Place chosen : National Gallery of Modern Arts, Bangalore
- Architectural Components Studied
- - School children visit NGMA for organised programmes and grade specific activities.
- Fine arts college students visit this place for their sketching assignments and for inspiration
- Other than students, there are art lovers who visit NGMA.
- Perceptions and Findings
- Signage Positioning
- Scope and Opportunities
- - NGMA being an Art gallery, with various spaces providedus with immense scope for a navigational guide for users
- Mobile phones being the device of choice for mostpeople, enabled us to come up with a concept for a digitalapplication.
- Being a relatively new and small gallery, NGMA providedlimited scope for physical signages.
- However, since it has many events simultaneouslyhappening in various spaces in the gallery, a digital appwould provide various levels of information to the user
- Analysis and Results
- The mobile application, would contain the following levels of information:-
- A map of NGMA, guiding the user from “where he is” to“where he would like to go” in the gallery premises.
- A list of events, including theatre, films and exhibitions happening on a daily basis at NGMA.
- Independence to explore the premises on his own via a“Go to” option, which helps him identify the numerous spaces in the gallery, and how he can navigate to them.
- The app, being a Navigational Guide, DOES NOT provide any information about the exhibits, barring the navigational aspects.
- Information Architecture
- The information has been grouped into:
Map of NGMA
containing a digital interactive map, with various spaces marked out, for the user to find and get directions to.
Go to tab
containing a complete list of spaces in the gallery, including the Sculpture Park, Cafeteria, Auditorium, and directions to the places.
Events and happenings
A detailed list of all the events happening in the gallery premises, along with the timings,dates and location.About NGMA Details about the history of NGMA and timings.
- Navigation screens