Add to Collection
About

About

Taking the current Colorado DMV and flipping it on it's side,.
Published:
The DMV. Probably one of the worst experiences in life simply because of it's tediousness. This was a course project that I completed with a few other individuals. We had our own solutions, this is mine.
 
 
Imagine a DMV that was easily accessible. One where you could start part of your process online and save your valuable time lingering in the halls of your local DMV. Imagine if it had an appointment system that let you schedule your visit so you could actually schedule a time rather than wait in line for a vague period. Imagine a DMV that reminded you about the appointment? As well as give you a list of things you need as a reminder? In a perfect world, that would be your local DMV. A smooth, quick and painless procedure. 
The main problem about the DMV is it's usability. Lets just say after partaking in the system multiple times, the experience felt choppy and wasn't cohesive. This project was about evaluating the current system they have and applying solutions to the user experience in the end. 
Process
Split Personalities - My first major task was to evaluate the website from a macro level. There were two websites for the local DMV. One was a brochure site, and the other had actual information. We took a very informal look at the website and wrote down what we thought was wrong from a usability standpoint and how information is fed to the user. 
Field Trip - After an initial look at the website, we decided to indulge in the experience ourselves. We conducted a quick 1 hour observational study at the local DMV. Putting ourselves in the system to understand User Goals and what current existing system.
Heuristics - Heuristics are a set of best practices that we use to evaluate UI elements. This is because things like Error Prevention and User Control can be evaluated from a high level. We can see the whole system and decide what needs to be done next. This also helps us address many problems but compare it with the entire system.
Task Flow - After that, we mapped out taskflows. These taskflows describe the process of a user in using the system. This gives us a step by step analysis of the current system.
 
Requirements - Requirements are amazing. Requirements are what carries over from research into a project.  Here, a listed down what we noted in our visit to the DMV, as well as our analysis of the current system in a simple, organized way. Each requirement is given a tag, and these tags were then used to be applied into the Taskflow. This is where the solution lies, applying the changes to the painpoints will be key to success.
Wireframes - Some pre-mockup sketches and wireframes were done to start coming towards a solution. These were also done in more detail and then produced into a working prototype.
 
Working prototype -     http://www.rmcada.com/itan/colormap/index.html  I created a working prototype with indigo studio. I also did some user testing here to ensure that the new system is better. Go ahead and try it out, a working prototype exists online.
Style - After determining the user experience is successful (which was guided by user testing.)  We had to decide on what style would fit best. I ended up on the first choice, approachable. The second was a quick interpretation on "streamlined".
The Solution - Finally, we applied the requirements back into a persona. An idealized person that may used the system. In my case, I used 21 year old Chris Ren who is about to get his Driver's License. The story is told with the inclusion of the requirements with their appropriate tags. This adds a storytelling element to explain the system from a user's perspective.
Finally, I decided to pop a brand into the project. It's a quick interpretation on a strong, bold design that may be used in many different ways. The branding wasn't the main focus of this project. In the end I think I came up with a new, solid task flow for users that will ultimately make the DMV much more efficient and pleasant.