- I worked as concept artist and contributed heavily to the art direction of Shogun 2. Total War is the most respected brand in the PC strategy market an it was thus a huge honour to have such a prominent design role on this project.Shogun 2 took over two years from high concept/blue sky stuff down to the final details. As well as producing hundreds of illustrations guiding the design of the map and 3D assets I also Made a large selection of the UI assets.All of the work had to be a convincing imitation of Ukiyo-e prints and silk paintings. I spent a lot of tim edeveloping techniques to digitally simulate natural materials. I also studied the style intensively so I could capture an authentic feeling
All of these images are copyright of SEGA and are not to be re-published without prior permission
- Pre-visualisation and concept workSeveral month were spent working out look and feel. learning techniques and studying Japanese artiscic heritage.
- Event Illustrations
- Silk Painting StyleThis was the hardest thing to develope a technique for creating in Photoshop. In the end a complex collection of layers and brushes created a convincing effect
- UI ElementsAssets for unit cards, skills, maps and more. in Excess of 300 items
- I also Illustrated the in game map and played a decicive role in the design of it.
- Art bookSome of the images were also printed in the special edition art book.
- Testemonial“Roland is an incredibly insightful and skilled artist and art director. It has been a pleasure and awe-inspiring to work with him on Shogun 2 at the Creative Assembly. Roland’s illustrations for Shogun 2 are perhaps the most outstanding single artistic achievement during the 10+ years of development of the brand. Kudos.”— Kevin McDowell Lead Artist (Total War Brand)