Add to Collection
About

About

This project was done as a part of a industrial design course: INDN Digital form, at Victoria University, Wellington. Requirements of the brief:… Read More
This project was done as a part of a industrial design course: INDN Digital form, at Victoria University, Wellington. Requirements of the brief: "Select a product type you wish to explore (eg camera, cell phone) and then refine this down to a specific donor product that will provided your working components. The product needs to have a level of complexity in it forms, materials, functions and interactions to give you a rich mix of design challenges. Be careful to select a product that you are technically confident of disassembling and reassembling inside your design as a functioning product" To sum it up, basically the aim of the project was to choose a product, dissect it and then re-design it using 3D printing as a primary process. Read Less
Published:
Senzuu: bedside clock
Senzuu is a bedside clock that encourages people to utilisetheir sense of touch to read time, removing the burden of opening your eyes to read the time at night, while also being friendly for the visually impaired.
'Senzuu' is a bedside clock that creates a physical interaction without turning on a light to disturb a good night's sleep. The time piece aims to emphasize the relationship between the senses and time telling. By using tactility as a main source of influence, the product encourages the user to utilize their fingers to feel the height of the tabs to figure out by which hour of the day it is, in hope to create a harmonic relationship between time telling and sleeping through the use of Senzuu.

Produced using 3D prints and copper plating, the device uses a simple suspension mechanism that triggers a sequence of tabs in correspondence to the time of day.
Precedent images
Sketches / Ideas
SolidWorks images
Renders
Physical form models
The make shift mechanism. I had intended to use arduino + servo but did not have the time to do so.
After I had completed the paint job on the top shell. I used 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of black laquer paint and on the indented clock face I masked the rest of the shell and added a 2 coats of clear gloss.