- Sestra (Sister in english) is a wild and cruel book about transition in Czechoslovakia. It is a Canticum Canticorum (Song of Songs) of humankind and love. That is why I decided to use heart shape made out of handwritten type which have a personal touch. Novel is a mosaic, associative structure in impulsive changeable rhythm. My typography try to illustrate that. It is also a book of many contrasts. I used that with colors when I decided just for black and white color.
- Design Biennial Ljubljana, Awards 2007
Judges’ comments on the winners
Best Book Cover Design Award - Sestra, Joachim Topol
"Beautifully executed example of hand lettering and simple form, resulting in a single symbol of a heart, made up of balanced, carefully considered typographic elements. Both the hardback white-on-black and the paperback black-on-white versions succeed as readable."
- Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart received high quality recommendations at 4th Biennial of Slovene Visual Communication.
- Bryant Park by Ulrich Peltzer ... I used handmade and scratched typeface to illustrate the uncertainty of modern world and how much this influence on psihology and life of modern man.Book received high quality recommendations at 4th Biennial of Slovene Visual Communication.
- Ernesto Che GuevaraThe Bolivian Diary