Metalsa Center for Manufacturing Innovation
4089
136
3
Add to Collection
About

About

Metalsa SA began as a family-owned company, founded by Guillermo Zambrano Gutierrez in 1956 that manufactures chassis and structural body compone… Read More
Metalsa SA began as a family-owned company, founded by Guillermo Zambrano Gutierrez in 1956 that manufactures chassis and structural body components worldwide for a variety of heavy trucks and pickups in facilities located in the USA, China, Japan and India. Today the company has manufacturing facilities located around the world and boasts several major automotive corporations as their clients, including Ford and Toyota. Site: Located in Mexico’s Research Park for Technical Innovation (PIIT), a science and technology park, which is a partnership between government, universities and the private sector to seek economic growth through technical innovation. The 1000 hectare campus is host to more than 50 research centers devoted to R&D as well as the development of technology innovation in nanotechnology, biotechnology, mechatronics and advanced manufacturing, information technology, clean energy and advanced materials development. Program: Master Planning for a 5,000 square meter research lab, office and industrial testing facility serving an automotive industry client who designs and manufactures automotive and heavy truck chassis. The first phase encompasses a total of 15,500 square feet, including 5,500 square feet of office space and 11,000 square feet of research labs and warehouse space for testing and developing prototypes. The second phase consists of an additional 5,500 square feet of office space and 34,000 square feet of research labs and warehouse space. Solution: Industrial buildings of this type are rarely a model for workplace innovation. They are typically a direct, and often nefarious programmatic response to the function inside with little consideration for the occupants needs. The approach to this project was to preserve the integrity of a high bay industrial facility and program, while providing a model environment for the users and visitors. A saw-toothed roof draws from the geometry of old factories and the surrounding Monterrey Mountains. The angled elements of the roof provide abundant natural daylight to the spaces below at the building’s northernmost elevations. By modulating space and light thru a fractured roof geometry, the building is able to maintain a rational plan to meet the rigorous requirements of the program, while providing a strong connection to the landscape both visually and metaphorically. The second major feature of the building is the perforated metal skin that clads the entire façade. The custom aluminum skin is both perforated and etched. It incorporates interplay of solid and void, orchestrating areas of both light and shadow, while limiting views into the research areas, necessary to protect proprietary trade secrets. Thus, the industrial program has been transformed from a black box environment to a light filled space with a strong visual connection to the outside. Each of these strategies and materials, exploit the potential for performance and sensibility while achieving a rich and interesting sensory and aesthetic experience. Programmatically, the building is divided into two volumes – warehouse/labs and offices functions. The upper story of the offices cantilever over the lower story to the west and is clad in a highly perforated metal skin and is the main entry facade. The lower story is mainly glazed and open to reveal portions of the research laboratory, machine room and other industrial functions not requiring visually security. From the exterior, the warehouse appears to float lightly over the mechanical and intellectual heart of the program, reversing the notion that an industrial building should be solid and protected. Rather, the building seems very open and is intended to feel vulnerable revealing parts of its inner program to public view. The main entry of the building is located at the northwest corner under the cantilevered volume. It is flanked by a sunken garden to the north, which is overlooked by the surrounding offices. The garden connects to the adjacent water reclamation wetland for the entire PITT campus. A large operable door located off the entry in the main public space opens to the garden outside. Read Less
Published:
METALSA CIDeVeC
Project Details
 
Project’s Formal Name:               Center for Manufacturing Innovation
Metalsa CIDeVeC
                                                                                                                                                                  
Location of Project: Alianza Centro # 500
Parque de Investigación e Innovación Tecnológica
Autopista hacia el Aeropuerto Internacional km 10
64000 Apodaca, N. L.
Client/Owner: The Proeza Group
Primary Contact - Abraham Tijerina-Priego,
Director of Innovation Management
+52 (81) 8369-7470  abraham.tijerina@metalsa.com.mx
(248) 669-3747 (from USA)
Total Area: Phase I – 1750 m2, Phase II – 3500 m2
Architects:          Brooks + Scarpa
         4611 W. Slauson Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90043
Tel. 323-596-4700
fax 310-453-9696
Project Team: Lawrence Scarpa, FAIA – Lead Designer/Principal-in-Charge, Daniel Poei, Abby Katcher, Oliver Liao, Darien Williams, Jordan Gearhart, Ching Luk, Mark Buckland, Angela Brooks, Emily Hodgdon, Daniel Safarik  - Project Design Team
Architect of Record: Homero Fuentes, Centro de Diseño
Landscape: PEG Office
Engineering: Carl W. Howe Partners, Inc. – Structural Engineering
Cobalt Engineering – Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing
Engineers of Record:  SPID Ingenieros (Structural and Civil),  SENSA (Mechanical), DINELEC  (Electrical)
LEED Consultant: Zinner Consultants
Project Management: Araltec – Alex Ruiz Cruz/Evelia Garcia
 
Project Description:
 
Metalsa SA began as a family-owned company, founded by Guillermo Zambrano Gutierrez in 1956 that manufactures chassis and structural body components worldwide for a variety of heavy trucks and pickups in facilities located in the USA, China, Japan and India.  Today the company boasts several major automotive corporations as their clients, including Ford and Toyota.
 
Site:  A 10000 square meter vacant parcel located within a new Research and Technology Innovation Park (PITT) developed by the Mexican government.  The site is adjacent to the Monterrey, Mexico airport and adjoins a natural habitat area.
 
Program: Master Planning for a 5,000 square meter research lab, office and industrial testing facility serving an automotive industry client who designs and manufactures automotive and heavy truck chassis. The first phase encompasses a total of 15,500 square feet, including 5,500 square feet of office space and 11,000 square feet of research labs and warehouse space for testing and developing prototypes.  The second phase consists of an additional 5,500 square feet of office space and 34,000 square feet of research labs and warehouse space.  
 
Solution:  Industrial buildings are rarely a place that anyone is happy to visit or work.  They are typically a direct, and often nefarious programmatic response to the function inside with little consideration for the occupants needs. The approach to this project was to preserve the integrity of a high bay industrial facility and program, while providing a model environment for the users and visitors.
 
A saw-toothed roof draws from the geometry of old factories and the surrounding Monterrey Mountains.  The angled elements of the roof provide abundant natural daylight to the spaces below at the building’s northernmost elevations.  By modulating space and light thru a fractured roof geometry, the building is able to maintain a rational plan to meet the rigorous requirements of the program, while providing a strong connection to the landscape both visually and metaphorically.

The second major feature of the building is the perforated metal skin that clads the entire façade. The custom aluminum skin is both perforated and etched. It incorporates interplay of solid and void, orchestrating areas of both light and shadow, while limiting views into the research areas, necessary to protect proprietary trade secrets.  Thus, the industrial program has been transformed from a black box environment to a light filled space with a strong visual connection to the outside.
 
Each of these strategies and materials, exploit the potential for performance and sensibility while achieving a rich and interesting sensory and aesthetic experience.
 
Programmatically, the building is divided into two volumes – warehouse/labs and offices functions.  The upper story of the offices cantilever over the lower story to the west and is clad in a highly perforated metal skin and is the main entry facade. The lower story is mainly glazed and open to reveal portions of the research laboratory, machine room and other industrial functions not requiring visually security.  From the exterior, the warehouse appears to float lightly over the mechanical and intellectual heart of the program, reversing the notion that an industrial building should be solid and protected.  Rather, the building seems very open and is intended to feel vulnerable revealing parts of its inner program to public view.
 
The main entry of the building is located at the northwest corner under the cantilevered volume.  It is flanked by a sunken garden to the north, which is overlooked by the surrounding offices. The garden connects to the adjacent water reclamation wetland for the entire PITT campus.  A large operable door located off the entry in the main public space opens to the garden outside.