- FEAT. YANA RADEVA AND STEFAN POPOV
- Klaksvik, Faroe islands - city of whale fisihing, Nordic architecture, chaotic streets and strong winds.
The specific geographic location determines the foundation of the city. It’s concentrated in the quiet part of the bay.
- Streets, buildings and urban systen develops like parasites on the skin of the whales multiply and form groups.(colonies, settlements). Whale ( typical fish which is used from the natives for food, fat,skin and building fences from the bones)
- Complex chaotic street network along the coasts - like a ribbed leather of the pilot whale. Old and new buildings in one system. The traffic network in the Main area is developed intwo levels. The pedestrian level is separated from the car level in case ofcreating an attractive and pleasant city center without any vehicles. Thestreet network is chaotic in its origin around the old random buildings andorthogonal in the new parts of the center to create an order in the chaos. Thatis how the traffic network takes the role of a homogeneous fishing-net unifyingthe old and new buildings in one ensemble.
- Mostof the existing buildings in Klaksvik have pitched roofs with different slopesand characteristic silhouette. Using these indications we create new buildingmodules that signs:
Modularconstruction of one urban center makes it characteristic and identical andunifies the traditional Klaksvik architecture and the contemporary identity.Modularity allows this characteristic architecture to continue in its future development as theparasites on the skin of the whales multiply and form groups (colonies,settlements).
- If we add the main problem /the strong wind/ to thecomponents of the urban design we have to reconsider our project and organizeits layouts in the following way: the tallest buildings in the first line of Mainarea 1 to make a slope screen for the strong wind streams; separating the areain two different levels creates amphitheatrical places which provide shelterfrom the wind.