Gone with the wind - Photoshop case study

  • 5034
  • 253
  • 57
  • Below is a very broad description of some of the techniques i have usedin this illustration, it's by no means everything that i did buthopefully gives a little insight into how i work.

    WORKFLOW 1 :

    - Photograph by Konrad Bak.
  • WORKFLOW 2:

    - Brought in scanned in water colour elements, masked out the model'sbody on these elements to give the bordered effect. Added sun.
    - Enhanced the colour of the models skin, added more depth byduplicating the photo and applying an OVERLAY filter to the top layerand bringing the saturation down to 0. Also applied a SMART SHARPEN of0.9 to the bottom photo layer and played with the LEVELS and CURVESuntil i was happy.
    - Started to add scratch detail with my Wacom tablet.
  • WORKFLOW 3:

    - Added background colour and a lot more scratch detail, also startedto play around with the composition of the elements by duplicating themasked water colour layers and leaving the link between layer contentand mask un-checked, this allows the same mask to be applied across allduplicated layers .
    - Started to bring in coloured water colour elements.
  • WORKFLOW 4:

    - Shuffled the composition and did more work to the top and bottom ofthe model to blend her out more effectively. To do this i used variousbrushes and opacity's to mask out areas, i then added scratchs tofollow the lines of the original photo to give a sketched effect to themasked out areas.
    - Added a LEVELS adjustment layer to the whole illustration which icould then play with through-out the design process to add or subtractdepth.
    - Added larger water colour textures to the background, set the layersto 20% opacity and completely DE-SATURATED them, then applied aLUMINOSITY filter.
  • WORKFLOW 5:

    - Changed the composition and decided to add wings, this is the beautyof working completely freely, the design can take an unexpected turn atany point. The wings were way to dark so i used the DODGE tool atdifferent opacity's to lighten them up, i also duplicated the wingslayer and set the top layer to SOFT LIGHT, opacity 50% and saturation0% to give more light depth.
  • WORKFLOW 6:

    - Close up of detail, added more water colours and scratch effect, thescratching is done with my Wacom tablet and drawn on using the brushtool set at hardness 6%, diameters between 1 & 7 pixels and variousdifferent opacity's.
  • WORKFLOW 7:

    - I wanted a lot more going on in the background so begun to add in some more layers and textures.

    - Added the forest scene to use as a base layer and masked out the topand bottom with the gradient tool. I then added a scratched walltexture above this layer and applied a COLOUR BURN filter and layeropacity of 60%

    - Brushed in a very light green colour behind and around the model to bring her out of the page more.

    - Added Mr Wolf and adjusted him to fit the image using levels and applying a yellow COLOUR filter layer.

  • WORKFLOW 8

    - Added a flowing dress element (which i cut from a photo) around the wings and a lot more textures.
    - Added 3 new colour gradient layers one of them was a brown gradientrunning from the top left corner with a COLOUR filter applied to createa more monotone area on the left hand side.
    - Moved the scratched wall layer above the wings to give them a subtle effect that looks almost painted.
    - Took the forest layer opacity to 20%.
    - Knocked back the sun layer to reveal some more colour and added lotsmore detail with the Wacom tablet and also the brush tool with themouse.
    - Added the horse, edited horse with DODGE tool and LEVELS to get correct lighting.
  • WORKFLOW 9:

    - Liked all the colour but decided it was a bit too much for thisillustration and so added a gradient from orange to green bottom to topand set to 80% with a HUE filter applied to knock back all the colourand create and overall look and feel that complimented the skintones ofthe model.
  • FINISHED PIECE:

    - Generally added more detail like the tattoo and the strip over hereyes, also added more scratch effects and played around with theoverall lighting, colours and the LEVELS adjustment layer until i washappy. The process of changing colours can sometimes go on for quite awhile before i'm happy.