- BILLBOARD/PAINTING FOR A COFFEE LUNCH BAR IN GHENT
I was asked to fill this nice empty space on the facade of a bar in the center of my hometown Ghent.
The name 'DEN HOEK AF' is a Flemish expression, literally it means 'Missing a Corner' (referring to the shape of the building), figuratively speaking it means 'Crazy'. I was asked to make somethig that fits the bar and the name. This lead me to my version of 'The Mad Tea Party', taking place in the bar's interior.
- - Some details -
- - Proces -
- DOCUMENTATION SHOTS
- The rabbits head is inspired on a primitive folk art sculpture I found on the net.
- COMPOSING & DESIGNING
- step 1:
Scanning the sketches & making a rough composing in photoshop.
Client's feedback: The white tablecloth is to posh and the interior needs something extra: the plant.
- step 2:
I'm not happy with the large empty space of the table and also fitting the lettering in the composition was a puzzler.
- LETTERING SOLUTION
- step 3:
- The simple geometric shapes of the lettering finally fitted the allover design I had in mind.
- Also the light and shade effect on the table breaks up the shape of the table.
- Some details are left out in order to get a pure image.
- Working out the figures in geometric shapes.
- Some last documentation:
- Digitally finished image
- PAINTING PROCES
- - finished -
- 'DEN HOEK AF', Vlaanderenstraat 1, Ghent, BELGIUM
- 'Google streetview pic' of how it used to look like.
- Thanks for watching!