The only direction that our instructor gave us for this project was to work in teams of no larger than five, to create something that would last for the duration of the class and to figure out our teams and the idea for a project by the end of the first class. This project was fairly open ended which was something different from what I had previously experienced.
I found a team pretty quickly which consisted of four graphic designers and one animator. It took us a good amount of time to come up with an idea that would incorporate all of our different skills and would be fun to work on. Eventually we came up with an idea to do a game concept. Given only eleven weeks to complete this project, we knew we wouldn't have enough time to create a full game, so we decided we would create a concept and 'pitch' it to our teacher as if we were a smaller company pitching to a larger game company such as Electronic Arts, Valve or BioWare.
We discussed all of what we wanted to create and pitch to our instructor and came up with making a company logo for ourselves, the game logo, packaging for the game including a special box for a special edition, cd label, game manuel, advertising, t-shirts, a website, and for our animator, character design and animating a short promo video. I personally came up with both logos, the game manuel including all of the body copy, and I also made the t-shirts.
As with the Catalog project, I feel effortlessly into the role of leader, making sure everyone was on the same page, all of our pieces worked with everything and everyone was doing their part. Though I can be shy and quite around people at times, I have come to find that I excel at maintaining order in a group setting.