- Canary Wharf on the Fraser
Re-Visioning the Riverside shared by New Westminster & Surrey
Cover Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxla/4805839957/
Bascule Bridges: Taking Advantage of the Patullo Bridge Replacement Project, we propose to leverage the economies and river positioning of the Twin Cities, with a redesign of the combined waterfront.
We propose to completely redesign the Fraser River crossings, using Bascule (Pivoting Lift) Bridges that carry crossing-appropriate road, rail, and LRT traffic combinations.
Riverside Economic Zone converts city borders into hub for designed growth.
· Faster arterial and local waterfront transits between the Twin Cities will spark joint economic redevelopment;
· Riverside LRT Loop speeds commercial and residential development by creating a joint live/work/play community; and
· Riverside becomes a strong central anchor for new regional development.
WHY THIS, WHY NOW?
THE RARE OPPORTUNITY to completely revisit the river crossing road network.
A SIGNIFICANT OPPORTUNITY to simultaneously revitalize brownsites of New Westminster, Queensborough, and Surrey.
HOW TO PAY FOR THIS
Re-thinking The Approaches creates opportunities for higher density residential, commercial, and industrial use; in turn, attracting:
- THE BIG PICTURE - A RE-VISIONING STRATEGY
We split the traffic--now focused on the old Patullo Bridge crossing's inefficient approaches--into two efficient crossings:
- Redirecting traffic increases project value if New Westminster's Front Street railway lands are leased, traded, or sold to the Crown. This is accomplished by offering Southern Railway of British Columbia a looping rail route, sending traffic through North Surrey’s industrial area away from the river, using the proposed rail, road and LRT bascule bridge combinations.
- DEVELOPMENT STAGES FOR THIS ITERATION
A: Phase1 (Express Connectors)
1– Initiate: Negotiations for possible transfer of New Westminster Railway Lands to public agencies
2– Build: Braid-Surrey Connector (Road/Rail/LRT-capable) [Bridge replacing Patullo Bridge—Patullo demolished]
3– Build: Fraser-Kingsway Connector (Road/Rail/LRT-capable) [Bridge to Queensborough Bridge]
3– Build: Griffiths/Queensborough Approaches (Tunnel Re-Routing from Southridge to Stewardson Way)
4– Build: Queensborough Bridge Twin Span (Road)
B: Phase2 (Riverside Mixed Use)
1– Finalize: New Westminster Railway Lands transferred to public agencies
(one landscaped and disguised track retained in situ for emergency bypass in the event of a crossing closure)
2– Build: Re-routing of Southern Railway of BC to south shore
3– Build: Patullo Boulevard Bridge (local traffic/LRT)
4– Build: Local developments, roadways and LRT trackage
C: Phase3 (Implement LRT)
1– Build: LRT Riverside Stations
2– Open: LRT Riverside System
3– Start: Planning for LRT extensions on north shore to Marpole Loop
3– Start: Planning for LRT extensions to Richmond and Ladner