Add to Collection
Tools Used
About

About

The following 3D designs challenged me to work with different materials to create new forms. From the challenge of creating an abstract form from… Read More
The following 3D designs challenged me to work with different materials to create new forms. From the challenge of creating an abstract form from bobby pins to the endless possibilities of creating a creature using fabric, these designs forced me to think in a different way than any 2D design would. Now let’s get into the nitty gritty details… Bobby Pin Schulpture The Assignment: This project was called “100 plus 1” and prompted us to create a three dimensional form using 100 plus of a single item. This sculpture could take on any form but was required to reach 12 inches in every direction (width, height and depth). Beyond that, the possibilities were endless. For my item I chose bobby pins and began experimenting with creating an abstract 3D form. The Challenges: The biggest challenge with this project was the glue I used to bind the bobby pins together. Working with it was time consuming and the fumes certainly went to my head. However I eventually discovered that the bobby pins could be used without glue to bind the sculpture together once most of the frame work was there. In the end a good portion of my sculpture was held together with only interlocked bobby pins and it still managed to stand up on its own. The Final Solution: My final solution was an abstract arch made of crisscrossing bobby pins. When bound together, the bobby pins create an abstract pattern that casts unique shadows and looks different from every angle. Guy the Giraffe The Assignment: The guidelines for this 3D fabric construct was for us to contain space using a form constructed from at least 3 panels of fabric and to also portray a specific emotion with the final creature we made. I chose to create a stuffed giraffe with a head and body formed from at least 3 panels of fabric each. The Challenges: The biggest challenge I faced with this project was dealing with all the calluses from all the sewing and making sure my creature wasn’t so top heavy that he fell over. After using some wire and stabilization in his body, I solved his top heavy issues while still allowing him to have a comically huge head and little body. The Final Solution: My final solution was a frazzled giraffe who’s a little sleep deprived and over caffeinated. His body was filled with coffee beans that helps give him a strong base and an aromatic coffee smell. Several mismatches patches and a swirly button eye help add to his frazzled manner. Read Less
Published: