Add to Collection
Tools Used

Tools

About

About

Island "Creative Quarantine" is an intensive, location based, interactive workshop week for students, teachers, scientists and artists. IslandCQ … Read More
Island "Creative Quarantine" is an intensive, location based, interactive workshop week for students, teachers, scientists and artists. IslandCQ is traveling through the participating countries of Latvia, Hungary, Finland, Belgium, and the Netherlands. Workshops on art, music, media, technology, and sustainable development are at the heart of the creative laboratory. Read Less
Published:
IslandCQ
 
Island "Creative Quarantine" is an intensive, location based, interactive workshop week for students, teachers, scientists and artists. IslandCQ is traveling through the participating countries of Latvia, Hungary, Finland, Belgium, and the Netherlands. Workshops on art, music, media, technology, and sustainable development are at the heart of the creative laboratory. 
 
About 70 students in 9 intensive workshops in an inspiring, isolated environment, working on projects surrounding art, music, media, technology and sustainable development. The results of the workshops were presented in a final two-day exhibition, along with an additional programming of music, lectures, installations and performances.
 
The 2012 edition took place from 23 May till 2 June in Latvia in the wild area of Irbene (57.553482, 21.854414), Mikeltornis (57.355543, 21.581972), Luzna (57.353951, 21.530389). This area contains a former Soviet top-secret espionage center 'Zvaigznite' ('Little Star'). Currently it includes an abandoned military town and 2 radio-telescopes (parabolic antennas) that are now used for scientific purposes by Ventspils International Radio astronomy Centre belonging to Ventspils Augstskola. This impressive realm of wild nature and history was the primary research location during the exchange week.
The 2013 edition took place from may 1st until may 11th 2013, at Monostori fortress in Komarom, Hungary.
The start of the fortress began in the 1st century B.C. and in the 15th century there was an extraordinary building activity in which magnificent renaissance buildings were manifested. In the XVIth century (1594) it was used to defend against the Turkish invaders and the building of the fortress as it is nowadays was begun in 1852.
After the second World War it was used as an enormous ammunition storage facility, nowadays a part of it is open for public as a museum. This isolated and historical rich location will form the ideal background for this years theme ‘Crisis! -RE/Constructing Europe’.