It was 1878 before a group of settlers came from Oregon and stayed to establish the Town of Seymour. A post office was requested and the new town was to be named Oregon City. However, as there was already a city by this name, the Baylor County town was renamed Seymour. It was possibly named for a cowboy, Seymour Munday, who lived near the creek.
After the town was established, more settlers came. The census of 1880 shows 78 people living in the County.
During the years of the free range, the Millett Brothers established a large ranch with the headquarters some 10 miles south of Seymour on Miller Creek. The cowboys on this ranch were a very disturbing factor in the early days of the County. There were about 50 men in the Millett outfit and some of these were reported to be thieves and outlaws. They did all in their power to prevent settlement of the county and made life very hard for the early settlers. It was not unusual for some of the cowboys to ride into Seymour for supplies, then purchase whiskey and proceed to "shoot up the town".
With the free range gone, farmers, merchants and professional people came to Seymour. The town began to grow.
Small towns and communities sprang up throughout the County -- Westover, Red Springs and Bomarton, to name a few. At one time, there were 16 schools in Baylor County. Today they have all been consolidated within the Seymour schools.