Disco Destruction
This project was my own twist on the conventional house destruction exercise. We were provided a procedural house by our instructor that we were to destroy. I used Houdini’s material based destruction, which had just shipped with version 17. This allowed me to quickly shatter the parts in wood, concrete and glass patterns, as well as constrain them. After destroying them in DOPs, I used the debris tool, which creates points at areas of separation, to spawn particle debris. Houdini’s procedural workflow allowed me to wedge test dozens of destruction sims, and art-direct the final shot. Since I already destroyed the house with spheres, the disco balls were already halfway done. To create the individual mirror faces of the disco ball, I faceted unique points along each face and then extruded them. The ground reflections of the disco ball were created spotlights that emitted caustic photons which rendered quickly with Redshift. I couldn’t help but make some dorky sound design to go with this shot as well.
Disco Destruction
0
5
0
Published:

Disco Destruction

Destruction project done in Houdini.
0
5
0
Published:

Tools