user's avatar
Case Study: Sticker Project
Case Study: Sticker Project
This time around I was given the challenge to create a sticker project. I needed to create three images of my own design in Adobe Illustrator and submit them to be created into stickers. I was excited for the challenge because for once I felt like I had the liberty to create something that I was passionate about. Unfortunately, I am still growing as a graphic designer, so I didn't want to do something that I knew I couldn't accomplish. So I decided to try my hand in creating House Sigils since I am a avid fan of fantasy and adventure.

Stage 1: Sketching
As always, I started my project with pen and paper. The good thing was that I already knew what I wanted to dive into. There is a story of two houses in a fantasy land that went by the names of House Sunsker and House Bournua. Not only was there conflict between the two houses, but the two house were drunk in corruption. However, one member of House Sunsker fell in love with a member of House Bournua. As the couple grew tired of the corruption and violence of their homes, they decided to run away and create their own house which they named House Sunbourne (a mixture of both their houses). In the end, House Sunbourne became of beacon of hope and honor as it outlived their previous two houses in the years to come.

I decided to give House Sunsker the banner of the phoenix and House Bournua the banner of the wolf. With House Sunbourne, I thought it would be smart to mix the house sigils together. Below were a few of the many concepts I came up with.
Stage 2: Drafting
I felt like I drafted more for this project then I ever did for my other projects. The hardest item to draft was the wolf. For the phoenix, I felt I had a good foundation for how I wanted to illustrate it, but for the wolf it was different. I had to look at several images of real wolves and dogs hoping to capture some part of their anatomy. Below was my first draft of my project.
After more reviewing, I improved my wolf as I made corrections to it's head (such as giving it ears that worked and a mouth that appeared natural).  My second draft is as follows.
Better, but I still wasn't happy . For House Bournua, the wolf looked more like a high school mascot than a house sigil. I decided to add more detail to it's head and change the color scheme of the banner to give the wolf a more aggressive look.
For House Sunbourne, I definitely wanted the wolf and phoenix to look less menacing than the other 2 house sigils. It was my way of showing that this was a house of honor and not a house of corruption. After some tweaking and re-drafting, I came to the conclusion of my drafting stages  and submitted my work for stickers (sadly I had to leave out the text due to the requirements of the assignment, but the best parts were the images anyway.)
Stage 3: Conclusion
This was probably my favorite project so far. After feeling restrained for so long it felt great to be able to work on something that I was passionate about. Even though the freedom was the best part of the project, it was definitely the most challenging as well. Without guidelines on what exactly I had to learn, I had to find ways to teach myself what the most important aspects of my project were. Granted, self- teaching felt great, but it took some getting used to. With any luck, I will be creating better and bigger projects in the future.
Case Study: Sticker Project
0
23
0
Published:

Case Study: Sticker Project

0
23
0
Published: