Built in 1860, the commercial brick structure situated in the heart of downtown had multiple alterations to it’s original appearance implemented over the decades, including at addition of a flimsy awning over the original brick arches and a cheap 70's storefront system replacing the wide plate-glass front windows. The project was to restore the facade of the original building (including reconstructing the three original dormers on the roof), refurbish the existing commercial spaces on the ground and basement floors, and build a rear addition allowing for new residential apartments. This project had added significance as, in addition to its placement in the core of historic downtown, the building also has rear frontage on the river running through the town. Therefore, access, visibility, and aesthetics needed to be addressed from all sides.
Completed with Driver-Ryan Architects.