user's avatar
Case Study: Gig Poster
Case Study: Gig Poster
For this project, I was challenged to create a gig poster for a make-belief musical band from any era and genre of music of my choosing. Recently I've been on an Imagine Dragons music binge and instantly fell in love with many of their album art. Their music was a huge inspiration as I attempted to create a gig poster that exemplified an alternative rock band such as themselves.
Stage 1: Brainstorming and Sketching
As always, I took my ideas to my sketch pad and began drawing up several concepts that I could incorporate into this poster. During my brainstorming sessions, I knew there were three things I wanted to incorporate into this project-- neon style lights, geometric shapes, and a conceptual image of a person. I knew I wanted to push myself to create something that was surreal and a little beyond my limits, but not complicated enough that I knew I couldn't achieve it. Below are some of the sketches I incorporated into my sketchpad.
Stage 2: Drafting
I went through several ideas and drafts before I came to the finished draft. At first I wanted to create a poster where an illuminating crystal was rising over a horizon with a man floating in the middle. Below are a couple of versions of the idea.
However, after some time, I came to the conclusion that the horizon feel wasn't working out. I was having a difficult time creating light sources that would impact the entire environment and how to blend the crystal with the landscape. After some critique, I decided to go with a different idea I had in the sketch stage where a celestial being of some sort was holding the crystal in the palm of his hand. I felt it would improve the composition of the gig poster without taking away any of my deal breakers such as the crystal, neon lights, and conceptual person.

Creating the head and the hands for the celestial being was much harder than I anticipated. In order to create the hand, I had to take several photos of my own hand and use them as references when drawing them out in illustrator. For the head, I created a circle with the ellipses tool an added several anchor points so that it looked like a convincing head. To make the head and the hand stand out, I heavily used the shape-builder tool and white arrow tool combine several different images, shapes, and strokes with my body parts. After several more trial and errors, I was finally able to create a poster that I was proud of.

Conclusion
All in all, I am especially proud to have finish this project on my own. A recurring lesson that I continued to learn throughout this project was the importance of composition within an image. I needed to find a good balance where I could creatively express my gig poster without convoluting it with necessary items and misplaced vectors. In the end, it's another step in my journey in becoming a better graphic designer.
Case Study: Gig Poster
0
11
0
Published:

Case Study: Gig Poster

0
11
0
Published: