On more than one occasion, I have found myself caught by the downtime between two projects. In this case, I had two days - not enough time to really get a solid start on a short film or 30 second piece. So, I decided to take a much delayed jump into Houdini's terrain tools. I have played around with the terrain system for smaller tasks on multiple occasions, but I really wanted to get a fuller understanding of what it had to offer and how I could use it in my personal work flow. So, I based this series of images off of a central concept - craters, and set off to create six different terrains that all had craters in some form. The below experiments are the result. Hopefully, I will be able to create a short film in the future using these tools, but for now, this goes down as a rapid prototyping experiment and a new skill set learned.