The Snail Apartments
Project type: Residential building
Total space: 2 950 sq.m
Location: 438 W 38th St, New York City, USA
Architects: Kristina Maliiova, Aleksandr Popov, Rustam Gorpeniuk, Vova Ivanov, Olha Chernova, Alexander Simonov
Award and recognition:
- World Architecture Festival 2019: Finalist in nomination Residential - Future Project
The Snail Apartments is a 10 story building, located in Chelsey and steps to The High Line, Hudson Yards, restaurants and theaters.
The project stacks the architectural components from the two neighborhoods: old New York housing and contemporary glass skyscrapers, creating a complex that both adapts to its surroundings and contributes by adding new distinctive architecture.
Beside saving unique traditional architectural style of the city, one of the main concept of the project was to unit different social types of residents (Gentrification – the main principle of European architecture). That’s why The Snail Apartment is a building creating space for 30 apartments: studios, single and multi-level apartments range from 27 sq.m to 170 sq.m in size, with floor heights of up to 3.6 meters, flooded with light through floor-to-ceiling windows. All apartments are created due to «PRO» logic, which provides smart and functional space in them.
All in the project encourages public life and a sense of community among the residents. Both the ground and first levels have public access, to ensure a multi-dimensional and multi-functional public space for all users of the building.
- The building is horizontally divided into two parts. The lower one maintaining an old traditional New York facades with brick walls which protect our apartments from the Lincoln Tunnel noise. And upper one is fully glassed which is replicate with contemporary glass skyscrapers and provide a perfect window view on a Hell’s Kitchen district
- We designed two recesses, bordering our neighbored building, planted their greenery, which is provide to increase the number of types of apartments and make them more comfortable and functional
Facts and Details:
- This is the first New York project, designed due to «PRO» logic
- Also, residential building contains multi-functioned common space, which is changing its function due to the time of the day
- We created a building for a comfortable life with smart common spaces so there is no need to go out to have dinner or meeting or do some sport. Residents already have all this inside the building
- The building includes two floors of «unit» studio-apartments range from 27 to 29 sq.m with own common space and kitchen
- Among 30 apartments, 16 of them are unique
- We introduce one and a half floored apartments in the project