Limited Selections From:
The Cleveland Museum of Art Renovation
One of the country's largest and most important art institutions, The Cleveland Museum of Art was originally built in 1916. Along with subsequent additions, the final addition was built in 1971 by Marcel Breuer. Due to all of these additions, the original structure was obscured and there was a feeling of disjointedness and overall confusion within all the spaces. In 2001, Rafael Viñoly Architects won the commission to resolve these conditions with an expansion and renovation, creating a coherent organization of galleries that accommodates projected growth and unifies disparate architectural vocabularies into a singular composition. This project was divided within two phases with the first phase, shown below, the renovation of the traditional gallery spaces.
Architects: Rafael Viñoly Architects
To view all of the images for this project please follow this link to the project on our archive site: