The Isleworth Commission
Automotive CGI Render Challenge 26: Studio Porsche. Use the Porsche 911 Re imagined by Singer model by Syzmon Kubicki and render it as a studio shot.
I wanted to keep the car as close to Singer's specifications and finishes as possible so paid close attention to their standard material finishes. This meant a liberal use of the complex fresnel map from Siger Studios to obtain the sating nickle plated finish on much of the metalwork and selecting paint colours that fit with Singer's often muted colour palette.
I haven't done a lot of work with lighter paint colours so I selected a light grey for the bodywork and darker grey for the stripes with a blue accent for details such as the contrasting Porsche decal graphics.
I didn't want to do a fairly standard studio render, in part because I have very little experience of it and with a deadline I didn't want to become frustrated and possibly submit a render I'm not happy with. I did however want to expand on Toby Lee's studio lighting tutorial so decided to build a physical studio. It also allowed me the possibility to produce some extras in addition to the submission image.
My job in Archviz involves building a scene that can be used to showcase a project to the client with multiple still images to take them on a journey round around the room/building. So, with this in mind I settled on trying to compose an image of the car as the focal point of an entire studio setup. I had just finished a project that used an aluminium truss assembly, so reused the models to build studio setup inside a warehouse. All pretty simple standard 3DS Max geometry.
The studio lights were purchased from CG Trader, Flight case and camera tripod from GradCAD and the Canon 1DX from Vizpeople. Not a camera that would likely be used for an automotive film shoot but it was quickly available for free and meant time saved looking for a decent Hassleblad or similar 3D model.
I'd be lying if I said that these weren't positioned to distract some attention away from the car in an attempt to hide my inexperience with correct studio lighting.
The only changes to the Porsche model was to put together s simple rig to link the tyres and steering wheel and add tessellate and turbosmooth modifiers to the interior leather work and then convert them to Corona proxies to improve viewport performance.
The lighting setup is very simple with the main studio lights excluding everything except the top and rear bounce boards. I also added an additional light to the interior to bring out some more details.
I didn't intend to use the Corona Lightmix feature in post production, but thought it would be an excellent use of being able to break down the individual lighting elements as an additional composite image instead.
I'm pretty happy with the final result, certainly the happiest I've been when submitting render to one of these competitions. The angle I shot the car at with the door open leaves an awkward reflection of the front wheel and wing in the door but I wanted to try and include as much of the model details as possible, it's a model I've fallen in love with and will defiantly use it in future projects.