High Level Discovery
I was brought on to this project on a short-term basis to help identify a client's pain points and to help map out an ideal state in order to fix them. I rolled off the project before any pieces of the UI were designed, so my mission here was truly to architect a high-level experience.
The client was happy with the incentive portal that we had designed and created for them, but there were some issues behind the scenes regarding processes, many of them manual and/or otherwise inefficient, that were required to get much of the necessary data into, through and out of the system. In effect, the portal was not actually "done" yet, and and we needed to determine what "done" looked like, and how we could get to that point as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Several of the players from the client side came into town for a two day discovery session with a refreshed Maritz team, a new set of eyes and ears determined to tackle and solve the client's problems. I was asked to kickstart the discovery session with some thought-provoking exercises
We had determined as a team that we would use a SWOT analysis as sort of an ice-breaker, since we knew that they were satisfied with some of our services, although dissatisfied with some areas of our partnership. I prepped for the discovery session by outlining some thought starters for the SWOT, coming up with some basic objectives (what does "DONE" look like, breaking "DONE" into pieces), with the idea of actually having us come up with firm goal(s)/objective(s) as a group at the very beginning of our session.
I led the group in riffing on the concept of what "success" would look like (we consciously used this term with the client, instead of "done"), and then crafting an objective for getting to that successful place. That flowed into our SWOT analysis, with members of the client team and the Maritz team participating in this brainstorming exercise regarding our partnership.
These are my rough notes that came out of the SWOT analysis and further discussions, and the ultimate list of features that we would start focusing on.
Our next step was to map out the current state of things, in order to really zero in on the pain points.
From the rough whiteboard drawing (above) that I did while talking through the flow with the team, I did some more sketching before digitizing the current process (below).
Creating a current state made it quite easy to turn it in to a map of the ideal future state (below), first a basic looking flow, for internal use, which I turned into a more visually-pleasing one for client review - including smiley faces to indicate where major efficiencies would be achieved (in other words, the current pain points).
Once we had the high-level journey mapped out, we started digging into the various pain points at a deeper level, each of which could be its own separate portfolio piece.