These are the outputs from the workshop: Design Visual Systems: Generative Tools for Identities that took place at Spore Soc. Coop., design studio based in Corato BA – Italy.
OpenRNDR is an OpenSource framework written in Kotlin and Java and also the name of this amazing studio in the Netherlands. Follow them on GitHub.
We’ve worked for 5 days to create the new identity for our host, Spore. (:
In this project you will find some of Micol's personal trials and then the second part is dedicated to all the teammates. We worked cooperatively in the last two days of the ws to generate the final design you will see at the end of the page.
SOME IMAGES ARE BIG, SO WAIT TILL THE PAGE IS COMPLETELY LOADED TO SEE THE FULL ANIMATIONS
In this example the framework renders the title by using an image recognition, from a black&white source file it recognizes the black, grey and white pixels and then it replaces it using a specific designed row of made of 8 symbols. The symbols are arranged based on presence and absence of black pixels as declared before.
I started caring less about the symbols and more on their behavior. I started designing some more coherent letterforms, in order to test their appearance without worrying too much about the pixel's grid. Consequently I started working using the particle effect, applying the same letterforms designed before.
Here starts the team section, in the last 2 days of the workshop we merged our ideas in order to develop something all together, we decided to use Micol's investigation on the mosaic effect to develop the design using in a bigger scale for the letterforms. We refused the pixel perfect design embracing randomization. We enhanced the grid and used more symbols and pictures, letting the written software do the arrangement for us.