Kim & Richard Headland
The 17th Avenue House is located within the recently expanded Ybor City Local Historic District. This 1926 structure had been previously renovated several times in the last 50 years, removing or modifying many historic features. The design team embarked on a significant exploratory process, meticulously working to identify lost original window patterns, existing circulation elements within the residence, and original building materials.
Working with a challenging budget of just $120/square foot, the design team prioritized scope and developed a plan to stabilize the structure while restoring the home’s original. Exterior modifications included removing and replacing an inappropriate rear addition and the replacement of exterior wall framing and asbestos siding. Historically appropriate windows were installed throughout, replacing ill-sized aluminum windows. An enclosed back porch serving as a bath room was removed and replaced with a new open back porch. Finally, a “security cage” was removed from the front porch allowing for new period-appropriate columns.
The interior of this 3,000sf home also needed significant updates. New electrical wiring and plumbing replaced 90 year-old infrastructure. The Design Team worked to sympathetically integrate a mechanical system into the structure. Many layers of fiber board, gypsum wall board, and wall paper were removed to reveal original tongue and groove beadboard which was rehabilitated or replaced as needed. A mix of modern and period-appropriate light fixtures were installed and original door hardware repaired.
The most significant modification came with the addition on the south side of the home. The addition included 2 new bathrooms, additional storage (pantry and closet), mud room, and a new stair. This addition also serves as an insulating buffer for the original structure, protecting the living and sleeping spaces from significant Florida summer heat gain.
The renovation and addition will ensure decades of happiness for its new caretakers of this little piece of Ybor City history.