A designer's workstation computer made of beautiful materials
designed to be cherished for a decade.
There's a problem with how computers are made.
They're designed to be disposable, to look new only until next year's model. I identified two types of computers for designers designed to be replaced in only a few years:
1 Some computers for designers are currently made with fine materials on the outside, but can't be repaired or upgraded.
2 Other computers are made with standard, replaceable parts, but their conspicuous, kitschy designs are made of non-durable materials and quickly dated.
Volta V is a solution to these problems. It is a beautiful computer that fits neatly into a designer's workspace, physically and aesthetically. It is made of touchable durable materials. The standardized parts can be replaced and upgraded, letting Volta V be a cherished object for many years.
Some challenges solved when designing Volta V:
- User access to all the parts simultaneously with no screws or latches
- Quiet airflow with no exhaust vents on the top or front
- A monitor shelf and keyboard storage in 5.5" of total height
- All this be done in a minimal number of manufactured parts
- All of this designed in a way that seems obvious after you see it