• Add to Collection
  • Tools Used
  • About

    About

    This project was undertaken to recreate a time piece (Westclox Scotty was the final decision) as photo-realistic as possible, within Adobe Illust… Read More
    This project was undertaken to recreate a time piece (Westclox Scotty was the final decision) as photo-realistic as possible, within Adobe Illustrator. This project underwent multiple phases, including research, sketching and peer reviews, in order to create the final product.  Read Less
    Published:
Westclox Scotty
This project was undertaken to recreate a time piece (Westclox Scotty was the final decision) as photo-realistic as possible, within Adobe Illustrator. This project underwent multiple phases, including research, sketching and peer reviews, in order to create the final product. 

Research and Sketches
The research that was conducted was to look at various version of the Westclox Scotty that were released for consumers, as well as light and shadow studies were conducted in order to better capture the look and feel of a realistic Scotty. As seen in the sketches, the Scotty was not the only timepiece under consideration and that underwent these light studies. 

The Drafts
Once the sketches had been completed, work began in rendering the Scotty in Illustrator. After each draft stage, it was shown to peers to receive their feedback concerning the current stage of the project, as well as how to improve each step moving forward.

The first draft focused on getting most of the Scotty's elements on the art board, not yet really concerned with lighting.
The second draft began by identifying the light source, and applying its affects onto the watch.
The Final Product
After the second round of feedback, final touches were applied to the watch, to make the Westclox Scotty as perfect as possible.
The final product with the vector outlines, as well as the different layers highlighted. 
For the mock-up, I wanted to create an ad for the Westclox Scotty, so I went through my digital photo-album and found an excellent photo that I could make a fun blurb line with. I then added the different elements together on Adobe Photoshop.