This project was completed to satisfy degree requirements and receive my BFA in 3D Digital Design!
I began this project in the previous semester with a single character. The goal for the next semester was to create the other 3 characters in my ensemble and place them in an environment. The concept was to develop a mock "character select" screen for an office fighting game in Unreal Engine.
These were the initial concepts after a ton of sketching. A few adjustments were made before the value drawing:
Here is a concept for the environment I wanted to place them in:
The I.T. Guy
The H.R. Representative
and the Accountant
Each were set to the same pose and given their own skeleton, with additional bones added for dynamic simulation.
To make life easier, I made a proxy rig to send to an animator so that he could work on each character's animation while I finished up the actual models.
My next step after UV layout was texturing with Substance Painter 2.
Now that the characters were finished, I focused my attention on the environment. I modeled everything in Maya and imported it into my Unreal project.
Here is a video of the environment partially done in Unreal Engine:
I placed all of my lighting and ceiling tiles using basic blueprints.
Some lighting adjustments and post-process FX tweaks were necessary to make everything look right...
This looks much better! The animations came in and were applied to the characters at this point. Some other tweaks and last minute additions went in before my final presentations.
As you might be able to see, there were some necessary adjustments to be made with the simulated parts of each character, and to some skin weights. I was able to get it in working order before my final submission. Prior to this I took some time to make the overlays for the "character select" screen theme:
A long-winded blueprint determined the logic for each one popping up at the correct time, as shown here:
With all that implemented, I made my final adjustments to the animations and this is the result!