The design of this adaptive re-use of a farmhouse built in 1743 was born out of a competition initiated by the City of Muttenz. Today, it serves as an office for an architectural design company, community meeting space, and a compelling link to a new, adjacent private residence.
The new design aimed to provide a fresh interpretation to the existing traditional features and its interior. This is achieved by creating new openings for natural daylight and by using a crisp white finish in the interiors, which juxtapose against the texture of the old wood, and through the way in which the spaces open up, overlap, and merge together with one another.
The sustainability considerations included maintaining an energy-efficient building through the use of current MINERGIE (energy efficiency) construction standards, solar roof panels, a sustainable choice of materials such as reclaimed wood used for the facade, and the restoration of existing architectural elements where possible.
The project also included the design of a new singlefamily house adjacent to the farmhouse. This elegant contemporary residential structure contrasts with the historic building. The new and old share commonalities of materials and colors, yet have distinctly different expressions with the interplay of modern and historic, delighting the senses. The new house has two floors above ground and one floor underground. An outdoor backyard terrace that leads up to the ground level.