This project is meant for showing some of the best pieces of my current 3D portfolio. Despite the fact that I haven't been working with 3D software for long, I always push my skills as much as I can, trying to learn something new with every model. My aim is to become a good and well-rounded 3D artist. I consider myself very passionate about 3D and I am always willing to explore new techniques beyond my comfort zone.
This is the first model where I used PBR materials. My aim was to achieve realistic textures. I created every texture using several layers that included photos, hand painted details and adjustment layers, all in Photoshop. I also baked normals from a high poly model to achieve the bumps in the metal core of the shield. I used an external program to create normals for the rest of materials using the diffuse color map (and some retouching) as a starting point.
This model is meant to be a game asset for our 3D game project at TAMK. In this case I didn't use as many textures as in the shield, I wanted to use only the most relevant maps and keep a more stylized look that would not clash with the rest of the environment. The fact of using less maps also made the model lighter to handle.
With this model I wanted to test how small the poly count can be and still get a good looking result. This model has the lowest amount of polygons compared with the previous ones. The textures are also quite light, 1024x1024px. The way the light is reflected on the model is quite nice despite the textures being not so high resolution.