Things to Do After Getting Wisdom Tooth Extraction
When a wisdom tooth starts bothering you due to its bad position, you may not be left with any option other than to get it extracted. While you are doing it to find some comfort, you just need to know that you might have to wait for quite a time before you get that comfort. Here, you also have to know that recovery after tooth extraction doesn’t have to be stressful. Therefore, you need to follow some tested and proved tips to get back to your comfort zone much sooner.
Things you need to expect after surgery
If you know what can come after surgery, you can avoid a lot of anxiety. For instance, you may experience pain and swelling immediately after the extraction surgery. Remember, this swelling is only going to get worse in the next 72 hours, and that there are no way you can avoid it. It’s a natural phenomenon which you don’t need to worry about. However, the pain must be quite bothering. To get relief from pain, you can immediately start applying ice packs. Nevertheless, ice packs may not work after 48 hours. So, you can switch to heat pack. The heat is going to give good amount of comfort.
The bleeding can also start to scare you. Therefore, you need to change the gauze after every 30 minutes during the post-surgery session. That will help you a lot in containing the bleeding. After 2 – 3 hours, the bleeding would stop automatically.
Accelerating the process of healing
It takes about 3 – 4 weeks for the socket to heal. However, there are some ways you can make this process go a bit faster. And these tips are also going to help in getting pain relief from very start.
1. Keeping your mouth clean is extremely important, even in the day when you are having swelling due to surgery. But you have to be careful while brushing. Make sure that you are not making it worse for the socket.
2. If your dentist has prescribed the medicine, take it to accelerate the healing process. You may be given antibiotics in order to avoid the infection.
3. Tea has the capability to contract the blood vessels. This very same attribute can be used to stop the bleeding and accelerate the healing process. Moist the teabag and place it on the socket. Chew it tightly for about 30 minutes.
4. It is a well-known fact that healing is accelerated when you take some rest. This is exactly what you need to do after getting wisdom teeth removed after surgery.
5. After the surgery, you can have ice cream to give your gums the ice therapy. And make sure that you take only soft foods.