With this deck of playing cards, the goal was to have an original concept executed throughout all aspects of the deck. The backs of each card should be indistinguishable from the rest, the face of each card should be unique, and the theme should be original. The deck should be cohesive but no two cards should share the same design.
As I thought of different themes for these cards, several things that I had seen on decks of cards in the past came to mind. This obviously wasn't a project I wanted to just remake something I had already seen. I kept thinking and eventually settled on a space theme. At this point, I researched as many space missions as I could think of. This led to me settling on the missions Apollo, OSIRIS-REx, Challenger, and Hubble Telescope.
For each of the suits for this deck, I illustrated a representation of each of the missions, either the ship or the destination. Then for each of the face cards, I illustrated the face of an astronaut or scientist associated with the mission. I chose a simplistic, symmetrical style that still creates a recognizable portrait. These were quite methodical to create.
Throughout this project, I learned a lot of things. One of the most important things I learned was that time management, or lack thereof, can really hurt you in the long run. Another thing I learned, more specifically related to illustration, was how to create a sense of contrast using only different line weights. I also got the opportunity to work with seamless patterns again.