How to Maintain Your Automotive Parts
Many of you do not take your car out to the mechanic unless you see signs of any damage. Just like your body needs regular maintenance and check-ups, your automobile also needs good maintenance to keep working in a good condition. Your automobile maintenance includes maintaining the automotive parts, diesel performance parts and other parts in your vehicle.
Ever since the first day you buy your car, you need to maintain it properly before it starts to show serious problems in the future. Most of the time it happens that you do not even bother about basic car maintenance as long as it is running smoothly. You only turn up with your vehicle on the doorsteps of a repair centre when you see any malfunctioning in the working system.
But, the problem is you can only see the external damage if any caused to your vehicle. If there are any internal damages, it would not be visible to a common person. Only, a mechanic would be able to find out the problem. If you regularly get your car parts serviced at the mechanic’s not only it will save you money from a major issue, but also it ensures your safety. Regular checking of car parts helps to detect if there is any malfunction or if there are any early signs of damage.
Which Parts of Your Automobile Need Regular Maintenance
Each and every part of your automobile qualifies for a regular check-up. The external parts are essential to maintaining the appearance. But the most important parts which you must not fail to take care of is the engine and the diesel performance parts of your vehicle, any vehicle. The engine is considered the heart of your vehicle. Your heart provides life to other organs in your body. If your heart starts to malfunction, the world seems a blur no matter how good the other organs are performing. Similarly, if the engine of your car breaks down, your car becomes useless.
Regular and proper maintenance of your car engine is essential. After engine, the most important parts are your car’s transmission system and brakes. You already probably know how important these parts are for the smooth running of your car. If these parts do not work properly, you would probably be stranded in the middle of a road.
They are also the importance of your safety. If they start malfunctioning, you could face serious road accidents. If you maintain regular car maintenance, you could avoid all of these. Even if there are minor problems, your mechanic would fix them before it becomes a major problem. You can also visit the RPM Outlet for detailed information on car parts.
What are the Major Parts of an Automobile Engine
The engine inside your vehicle gives life to your automobile. It keeps the vehicle running. The various automotive parts of an engine work together to produce power burning the fuel. The various parts are given below:
1. The Cylinder Block- it is the main part of your automobile engine. All the other parts are attached to it. This is the place where the fuel is burned to produce energy.
2. The Cylinder Head- It is attached to the upper portion of the Cylinder block. The valves, camshaft and the sparkplug are attached on it. The cylinder head covers the end of the cylinder and does not allow any gases to enter or exit.
3. The Piston- the piston is placed inside the cylinder. It is mainly responsible for transferring energy to the crankshaft and thrust to the connecting rod. It converts the fuel to mechanical energy by compressing the air and fuel in the cylinder.
4. The Connecting Rod- It mainly connects the piston and the crankshaft. The lower part of connecting rod is attached to the piston whereas the upper end is connected to the crankshaft.
5. The Crankshaft- The crankshaft is attached to the lower portion of the connecting rod. It receives power from the piston and converts it into rotating power which is responsible for moving the wheels of your car.
6. The Valves- the inlet and exhaust valves are attached to the cylinder. Together they control the flow of the mixture of air and fuel inside the cylinder. They are also responsible for expelling gases out the cylinder.
7. The Camshaft- The camshaft is used to open or close the valves at the right time. You can find them attached either at the top or the bottom of the cylinder head.
8. The Oil Sump- The oil sump gives friction and ensures smooth working of the moving parts of your vehicle. They are fitted at the lower side of the cylinder block.
9. The Push Rod- the push rod controls the timing of opening and closing of the valves. You can only find the push rod when the camshaft of your engine is fitted below the cylinder head.
10. The Spark Plug- If your automobile has a petrol engine, then you would find spark plugs attached to the cylinder head. The main function of the spark plugs is to ignite the fuel in the cylinder.
11. The Injector- When you have diesel performance parts such as the diesel engine, you can find an injector which is responsible for igniting the fuel.
12. The Manifold- There are two manifolds attached to the end of the cylinder. One regulates the air-fuel mixture and the other expels the exhaust gases from the cylinders.
13. The Piston Rings- The piston rings provide a good fitting between the piston and the cylinder. The rings have a slit at one of the ends so you can seal them easily in the piston.
14. The Piston Pin- The piston pin is a pair of spindles which connects the piston and the connecting rod.
15. The Gaskets- It seals the cylinder block and the cylinder head and prevents escaping of pressure.
16. The Engine Bearing- There are two types of bearings used in automobile engines namely rolling bearing and a sliding bearing. The main function of the bearing is to regulate the friction of moving automotive parts.
How to Keep Your Automobile Engine Working Perfectly
The fuel filter of your engine needs to be taken care of. The fuel filter and other diesel performance parts are an important part of your engine. It protects the fuel inside the engine from being contaminated by dirt and other unwanted matter. If it gets choked, then the engine might not be able to function properly. You need to get the oil filters checked regularly and replace them if needed.
The spark plugs are what ignites the fuel and help your engine to run. You need to replace the spark plugs at regular intervals. If the spark plugs do not work properly, it creates pressure on the engine and to avoid serious damage in future you should change spark plugs and wires to keep your engine running smoothly.
The automotive warning lights are a boon for your vehicle. They are made so that you can be aware if any automotive parts are not working properly. Whenever you get such a hint, it is better not to ignore it. You need to visit the mechanic and get your car repaired. Though automotive lights do not always warn of danger, it is better to keep up your guard. For better information on parts, you may refer to the RPM Outlet.
Running your car at a constant speed is healthy for your engine. If you stop and start your engine too much, the normal functioning of your car engine is hampered. To protect your engine, try driving at a constant speed at a stretch.
You need to make sure that you keep the gas tank of your car filled. When you fill gasoline, the sediment in it settles down at the bottom of your gas tank. This sediment usually does not cause much hindrance, since the fuel filter keeps it away from the fuel. But, if you keep driving your car at a low tank all the time, the sediment may find its way inside the fuel filter and contaminate the engine. The engine, then would not run properly. So, always ensure that even if you are not driving on a full tank, at least it is half full or the level is more than the bottom lower level.
Make sure that there are no leaks. Oil leaks can cause serious damage besides wastage of fuel. The automotive parts and pipes, with use, get cracked or damaged due to high heat and pressure generated by the engine. You need to check often whether there is any oil leakage or not. If anything as such is found, you need to get the parts replaced immediately.
Maintaining your vehicle might seem like a headache but it is actually fairly like any other routine work if you know the mechanism. You do not have to be a mechanic, but basic understanding can save you time, cost and energy and you can enjoy a smooth ride for long.