is an established South Florida arts & cultural events site. It is highly trafficked & receives a steady flow of event submissions from active users who range from individual artists or small galleries to renowned performing arts venues & internationally acclaimed festivals.

¶ Over the years, pages & features were added to the site by those maintaining it without much thought into whether it was beneficial (or even necessary) for the users. If the site were a house it may be a candidate for the show Hoarders - it was time for an intervention because of love for the valuable site hidden underneath all of the unintentional dark UI, inconsistent styles & confusing redundancies.

¶ Recent grant funding afforded the Broward Cultural Division & ArtServe - owners & operators of the site - to finally invest time & resources into turning Arts Calendar into a community-driven tool for artists & art-lovers alike. For art lovers, it could be a simple & delightful event-finding experience. For artists & venues, a simplified, engaging means to promote upcoming events. There is even the longer-term potential of incorporating a marketplace (e-commerce) component! But I’m getting ahead of myself since we haven’t even fully gotten through the research phase yet.


Heuristic Evaluation
¶ The house needed cleaning (& fixing)…and this first step was an exercise in being ruthlessly honest about the good (like the intentions of offering a great service to the community), the bad (terribly confusing links & buttons) & the ugly (a clip art logo, for example). Seriously considering who the site’s users are (and new demographics we wished to reach with a redesign), it was necessary to intentionally steer all conversations among stakeholders & team members away from topics like colors, new logos & “let’s make the site look like X-trendy-site dot com” that could easily stray into subjective arguments the vision wasn’t clear enough at this point to sustain.

Mobile & desktop versions of existing site
Mobile app for video sharing before redesign
¶ I evaluated the user experience of each page, taking note especially of pain points in user journeys. I spoke with several users to get more insight into problems I may have overlooked. The notes were consolidated into a report (the report was created using Matt D. Smith’s AIUX method which I cannot recommend highly enough if you’re into UX design) that I presented along with existing & revised sitemaps & low fidelity wireframes based on these findings. The objective at this stage was to take a high level view & begin setting a solid architectural structure in place. This would set the foundation for all future discussions on form & function that would best accomplish the goals of the site. We had numerous meetings to refine this broad vision & to condense it down into what we felt comfortable was all we needed initially to deliver a great experience to our audience.


Sitemapping & User Flows
¶ Creating user profiles, sitemaps & flows that would help them get from their point A to point B in as delightful of a way as possible is one of my favorite parts of the job. A lot of consideration was also taken at this stage to research the national & international market for others providing similar services. We looked to find what was done well and on what we could improve through our project. Many meetings, revisions & thoughtful discussions were had at this stage.

Optimized sitemap
User flow (for member)
User flow (for visitor)

¶ In order to make the vision of the site/app real to everyone on the team & stakeholders, I got into wireframing & creating interactive prototypes as quickly as I could. As mentioned before, lo-fi Wireframes were built using Adobe Illustrator & the AIUX method while high-fidelity wireframes/interfaces were created using Sketch.

Event app wireframes
Prototype screens in Sketch

¶ For prototyping I used Framer for micro-interactions & Marvel to view how the app/site could work as a whole. A number of meetings were held in which feedback was openly taken & incorporated into revisions until a strong, agreed-upon prototype was arrived at.
Interface design & CSS style guides

¶ The stakeholders ultimately chose to go with a WordPress-based app/site. In order to assure the final product would be as close as possible to agreed upon mockups, I wrote custom CSS for the visual styles. Testing of the CSS was done using Codepen.


¶ When it came to the project, selecting a typeface was particularly enjoyable as it afforded me the opportunity to survey the market & relevant fonts our target demographics would readily associate with arts & then to find something within those constraints that would communicate the voice we wanted to have. Our final choice for the web was Karla, a font designed by Jonny Pinhorn for Google.
¶ The logic behind this decision began by narrowing our options down to grotesque sans-serifs - widely used in the arts community & neutral enough to allow the content to be front & center. This provided us with a lot of amazing options to explore but for practicality reasons, self-served webfonts & subscription-based services were ruled out to avoid a lapse were administration to change leaving the best option to go with Google fonts. Out of the fonts Google offers, Karla struck a good balance between having a pleasant personality & being sturdy & somewhat impartial in the grotesque tradition.


¶ In an effort to express sophistication & cleanliness as well as focusing on elevating content, the colors black & white were selected as the main palette. Bright gradients reminiscent of the neon lights characteristic of South Florida were included subtly to tie the look & feel together.

UPDATE: This project is currently in development but if you’d like, you can take a sneak peek. Stakeholders decided to hold off on developing a mobile app for the time being in favor of converting the site to a progressive web app.