Reflection

The idea behind this project was to create a typographically interesting word, phrase, or lyric by hand from physical objects. This time around our material was randomly assigned. My first material was cotton balls. So glad we were able to swap with someone else because I had no idea what to do with that.  After swapping for dominos as my material I started on my preliminary sketches.

I had a few sayings that I started with but ended up choosing the phrase domino effect. I wanted to do more than just lay the blocks down, but I ended up giving in.  It was hard to show that the blocks were dominos without showing the dots.

I wanted to use the old style black and white dominos however no one carries those anymore. I took a few test shots and realized that the image was too colorful. This is when I decided to make the image in black and white. To tie in with the vintage look I used a wood plank background. I also wanted to give the word some effect so I took the image at an angle. This angle gave the word movement, which helped with the phrase domino effect.

I realized that taking images of words is different than taking portraits of people. I cannot use the same effects on both. After reading some of the comments I decided to retake the image. My original image was captured with a fast prime lens, which gave that out of focus effect. This effect put the word in partial focus. If I had done this effect post processing I would have been able to adjust it. I instead decided to do a linear blur so that the whole word was in focus. This blur was actually done post processing because I did not have a tilt shift lens.
Handmade Type
0
46
0
Published:

Handmade Type

0
46
0
Published: