• Add to Collection
  • Tools Used
  • About

    About

    Decided to refurbish my first ever skateboard into something I could use for personal transportation on a daily basis. Ran with the beautiful gre… Read More
    Decided to refurbish my first ever skateboard into something I could use for personal transportation on a daily basis. Ran with the beautiful green color of the board and created the "Green Machine". Read Less
    Published:
"The Green Machine": Shlongboard
I bought my first skateboard off of ebay as a complete for around $100 with the help of parents at the age of 12.  This thing had been lying in my basement for a long time, so I figured it would be a nice addition to my skateboard quiver if I could redesign it into something low, light, and easy to push.

This class of shortboards turned into longboards has a name of its own among the longboarding community: "shlongboards".  It is known as a cheap way to turn an old skateboard deck into a decent longboard machine by mounting the trucks further towards the tips of the board.

When I first sanded down the bottom of my board, I realized that it had a beautiful green stained look to it, so I wanted to run with that as my inspiration.  Thus, the idea of the "green machine" was born.  It would be the perfect commuter.
 Keep in mind that this is board I started with in this project.
At this point I had already done some work on the board, simply moving the mounting position for the trucks, and using an angled riser pad to improve truck performance.  The darker green you see on the top of this deck is actually the sticky residue left over from taking the grip tape off.
The front of the board.  At this point I was testing out numerous ideas to see what would work best for this board.
The upturned angles of the tips of the board actually completely change how the truck turns, so to combat this I used a soft angled riser pad.
Close up of the angled riser pad.  This really helped to improve the turn characteristics of this board while still keeping the deck dropped down low to the ground.
I bought some green stain at the local TrueValue hardware store in South Campus and applied it to the sanded bottom of the deck.  I also took the liberty of making some wheel cutouts to avoid getting wheel bite.
The old truck mounting holes were beginning to propagate cracks, so I screwed in a threaded rod into each hole and then used a hack saw to cut off any extra material and bring the plug flush down to the deck.  After painstakingly removing the old grip tape glue off the top of the deck, I sanded it down and stained it green to match the bottom.
Previously I found the deck to be a little bit too flexy, and the material that shortboards are made out of, Canadian rock maple, is not really optimal for this high-stress job, so I decided to make a thin aluminum stringer.  Here it is getting epoxied and clamped up.  I used every single clamp in the imagineering lab and it still wasn't enough to hold certain portions down properly.
Here's the bottom of the board after gluing the aluminum stringer on.  The line you see on the aluminum is a cut I made in a buckle that formed while clamping.  Nothing a bit more epoxy couldn't fix.
The final coat of green stain on the bottom of the deck.  Looking good!
After getting one coat of polyurethane, I decided to throw some art onto the bottom of the deck.  In a scripty font I wrote "Green Machine" with a silver spray paint marker.
The top of the deck.  I decided to put a little art on here too.  I chose a pineapple because they are delicious.
Close up of the pineapple art I did on the top of the deck drawn freehand with a black sharpie marker.
I couldn't resist putting a little something Irish on a board this green! 
At polyurethane coat number two for the bottom of the deck, things are starting to get really glossy!
Second coat on the bottom.
Top of the board with only one coat of polyurethane.
Look at that shiny pineapple!
Bottom of the board after the final coat of polyurethane.
One of my favorite parts in the skateboard building process is making a beautiful design using grip tape.  Here I went for the rising japanese sun with the pineapple in the middle of the sun.
Me ecstatic holding the finished deck.  I can't wait to fully assemble it.
The finished product, all assembled in it's black and glossy green glory.
A clear shot of the front of the board showing off the wheel cut outs that will prevent any wheel bite from happening. 
Just look at that glossy pineapple on the top of the deck!
The rising sun design in the grip tape came out fantastic.
The back end of the board with a newly shaped angled riser pad and cleaned bearings.
The front of the board.  The height of this deck when you're standing on it is incredibly low, making pushing this stable board around easy and care free.
The bottom of the finished board.
Hopefully the luck 'o the Irish will keep me away from injury on this skateboard.
Green and glossy.  The silver goes so well with the aluminum.  Three coats of polyurethane on the bottom really ambered the color of the aluminum though.
Thanks to my friend Marc, the hanger on this truck is a little scuffed up.
The large washers on these pan-head bolts will spread out the force and prevent any future cracking...hopefully.
View from the front.
The shaped angled riser pad looks much less obtrusive now.
This board still has a lot of nice flex, and standing on the board feels comfortable and natural.
I can't wait to get outside and try this baby out!