I did like the look of the plaque so I researched further into different styles of plaques and how they have been integrated into logos. I finally found one that I halfway like, tweaked it, and came up with this final shape.
After finding the shape, I next set on finding the proper typeface. The style of the plaque and the overall look I wanted for the new logo showed me that whatever font I choose needed to have a touch of vintage flair to it. I went through my throng of fonts, narrowing my list down until I settled on Nueva Std. It has a hint of vintage but it isn't so overwhelming where it's shoving the vintage in viewers face.
Next was finding the proper colors. I love color. Adding color can dramatically change the feel of a logo or design. With this project in particular, it took me quite awhile to find a good combination of colors that fit with the feeling I was going for as you can see above with my color study.
I finally set on my final colors and the final shape but tweaked the actual color of the logo and the line detail underneath.