This past Christmas holidays I got a copy of the book "Share Your Work" by Austin Kleon. Upon reading it I got inspired to start a long project in which I share about my progress every day. The book inspired me to choose a subject and stick with it until the end. I wanted to do something fun so I decided to illustrate every single BMW model ever manufactured to celebrate 100th anniversary of BMW Group. One BMW every day. Then I posted those on Instagram on my Behance WIP page. Now after a few months of this practice I have over 60 models of BMWs illustrated. I am still in process to get all of the models ever made.
Since I started the project during the holidays and away from home, I used illustrator on a laptop to make the models. As time went by, I became more and more comfortable with the models and made them more detailed.
- For each illustration I used this Wikipedia page to know more about the model and its order of manufacturing. - Then I looked up the model up in google images and selected images of them from the side.
- I brought the images into Illustrator and leveled them.
- Resized them on a scale according to the actual car length.
- Traced them using the pen tool.
- Applied colors and shading.
I thought maybe it would be cool to have them all lined up in grouped by their manufacturing decade. And future certain ones in matchbox type toys.
Finally to add some interest I have included a virtual vending machine that you can actually purchase the vector models and illustrator files.