Paper Pixels was a project born from specific requirements. My team was tasked with designing an artistic experience for 250 people, was to last two hours and produce a lasting artifact. After much deliberation and several failed ideas we decided to go with a large installation of rolled paper on a grid.
The entire design was broken in to four foot square panels. The final piece was going to be big so it was slated to be the backdrop of the stage for a week long offsite. All said and done there were some twenty thousand pixels in the final product.
An intereting detail was how the sample image met with the wire mesh. Big props to @annydesign for the graphic and wicked color palette. The sample image was on a diagonal inch and half grid while the wire mesh was a one inch vertical grid. It was left to participants to do the anti-aliasing.
The frames were built from half by one rectangular tube stock. Thanks for the help Trixie!
Here is the test frame where we tested chicken wire, wire mesh, tissue and rolled paper.