Between February 2015 and February 2016 I took a break from the agency life and worked as the Communications & PR Officer of an NGO. There I was responsible for coordinating and implementing the communication efforts - meaning everything from writing press releases to managing facebook pages to coming up with campaign concepts, tactics and messages and actually implementing them.
THE CLIENT: Centre for Legal Resources (CLR) / Centrul de Resurse Juridice (CRJ) - a human rights NGO, focused on defending the rights of persons with mental disabilities living in mental health institutions. www.crj.ro
THE CHALLENGE: Change the national law towards establishing an independent mechanism of unannounced visits in institutions for persons with disabilities, with the purpose of preventing abuses.
RESULTS: Following a 1-year advocacy campaign, on December 21st 2015, the Parliament passed the law proposed by CLR.
Scroll down to see details about THE CAMPAIGN.
MAIN CAMPAIGN TACTICS AND ACTIONS
- An online petition addressed to the members of the Parliament, asking them to adopt CLR's law proposal
- A national caravan featuring a photo exhibition/installation with photos from the "death camps" showing proofs of abuse and the inhuman living conditions
- Organizing public debates with everyone holding a stake in this matter - government and municipality representatives, NGOs, the media and citizens
- An online community on Facebook to constantly communicate with the public, keep people informed, mobilize people for certain actions like signing the petition and creating buzz
- Post cards with "photos from the death camps" that people can sign and send to their MPs with a message supporting the CLR's law proposal
- Collaborations with investigation journalists that wrote about human rights violations in institutions for persons with mental disabilities
- Media advocacy tactics, targeting the wide public and/or decision factors with the purpose of explaining the problems of the actual situation and the benefits of the law proposal (print ads in two national newspapers, SMS campaign targeting politicians before the vote etc.)
Media investigations published within the campaign:
- Unul dintre cei implicați în dezastrul „Morții nimănui” de la Breaza și-a făcut un business identic lângă București – Ovidiu Vanghele, Centrul de Investigații Media
- Dana Gârbovan: „Magistraţii trebuie să primească training special în privinţa persoanelor cu dizabilităţi intelectuale“ – Ioana Lupea, jurnalist și blogger Adevărul
- În ”depozitele de oameni,” legea se joacă de-a viața și moartea – Andra Matzal, Think Outside the Box
- Amintirea unor morţi: Poiana Mare, 2004. Datoria Senatului României (I) – Ioana Lupea, jurnalist și blogger Adevărul
Find out more about the campaign on www.crj.ro/lagarele-de-langa-tine.
There you can see more photos with the street photo exhibition, photos from institutions and find full details about the campaign development and results.