During this intense, two-week course in Dessau, our small group of 10 students needed to prototype a new web presence for the Hochschule Anhalt’s Design Department, and develop a framework which could eventually be adapted to a complete overhaul of the university’s website. Necessities of user and client – potential students and the university’s administrators – were cornerstones of our design.
Wild concepts, varied ideas, and many, many sticky notes filled the first week. Together, we decided to show our prototype solely on mobile, so after benchmarking similar sites, I proposed a modular system for the content, similar to Google Now cards.
With a unified design direction and comps from the other students, Don and I took on the task of collating all of the static design work into an interactive online prototype. With such tight time constraints, it ended up being pretty hacked together at the 11th hour! Not all menu links work and inter-page navigation is heavily based on <map> tags, but we made it happen.
Regardless, the final presentation was still successful enough to kickstart the school board’s serious consideration for a new site! Don and I were then asked to present the prototype again at the end of the semester during a school board meeting. There's lots of school politics at play and it'll likely be years before it can be implemented, but we at least ended the semester satisfied.